Cemeteries and Tombstones
- Tombstone Surname Index Surnames of those buried in and compiled from cemetery inventories published up to 2008 by SCCGS.
All cemeteries identified in St. Clair. Name, location, if inventoried and published. Updated May 2017.
Booker T. Washington Cemetery, Centreville - burial records preserved, history.
Mt. Hope Cemetery, Belleville - Burial records preserved, maps, short history.
- St. Clair Memorial Park burials transcribed from cemetery lot cards.
- Walnut Hill Cemetery, Belleville: A memorial tribute to our forebears
Information to date, taken from Lot Cards, remains at 23,000. The earliest burials (1850-circa 1875) do not appear on a lot card and few have a monument. Several hundred monument photographs for some areas of the cemetery are available through our site. Search our site (Walnut Hill appears in the page link title). See also Original sexton's books and a name index, courtesy of Belleville City Hall here.
Deaths, Obituaries, and Life Events in Newspapers
- Proofs of Death, c1870 - 1880
- Funeral card collection Updated periodically.
- Belleville (Ill.) Daily Advocate Vital statistic extracts 1927 - 1954. May not work with Chrome, Firefox, or IE10
- Belleville News Democrat Obituary Indexes
1994–2001: A-B |
2002 , 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006,
2007 (Large files).
2008 - forward available at the Belleville Public Library (off site).
- Belleville News Democrat online images 1901-1952
A member benefit
- 1894 added August 2017 to Belleviller Post und Zeitung Obituaries 1893, 1898,
Freeburg Tribune Obituary Index 1904-1939.
XYZ Available for purchase.
- Freeburg Tribune Obituary Index 1999 - 2010 | 2011, 2012
Lebanon Advertiser Every-name index 1917, 1918, 1919, 1920, and 1921
Millstadt Enterprise obituary index 1897–1949 (large file).
O'Fallon : Schwarz funeral home records 1902 - 11 April 1910.
Court Cases, Naturalizations
- The Circuit Court index 1819-1840 provides a means of discovering suits brought by or against your ancestor during the first years after statehood. Definitions and some actual case file transcriptions are presented.
- Cases before the Supreme Court of Illinois in Illinois Reports 1819 to 1831 (offsite). The Supreme Court heard cases appealed from the Circuit Court level.
- Naturalization and declaration papers Which documents survive, where these are located, and research hints to determine the year of naturalization. See the first portion of the Index to Circuit Court after 1906, just one of three courts within the county boundaries which granted naturalizations after 1906.
1870 Agricultural Schedule online includes names, acreage of improved and wooded lands, and dollar value of the farm and machinery. Best searched by reading a township since names are frequently misspelled.
- Census Finding aids, historical reading material, online images, books, and free forms to print.
The Society Quarterly
SCCGS Publications and Acquisitions
censuses||Death register extracts 1877 - 1904|
|1880 U.S. Census extracts||Marriage indexes 1906 to 1930|
|1900 St. Agnes orphans asylum||Military census 1862|
|Guardianship records 1829 through 1859||Military discharges A - R|
|Probate index 1770s through 1964||See Quarterly Table of Contents |
Articles published 1977 - present.
Families Our Members are Researching
Civil War soldier descendant project An index to men who served from St. Clair County, and men of the 22nd and 43rd Regiments.
- Donate your compiled genealogy or family history to SCCGS. Donation guidelines.
- Queries - Members and non-members may publish their Query in the SCCGS Newsletter and Quarterly.
- An 1876 History | 1881 Precinct histories | County map circa 1881. | County
- St. Clair Resources
IRAD and ISA (Illinois Regional Archives Depository, and the Illinois State Archives, respectively). Opens in new window
- St. Clair (and statewide) marriages 1763-1900, and death index 1916–1948 *
- Circuit Court Chancery case files index 1815-1870
- Farm Board record index 1874-1879
- East St. Louis City Court naturalizations 1874-1906*
- Illinois soldiers in 19th century wars
* See SCCGS Member site for County Court naturalizations before 1906 and death register extracts 1877-forward
Soldiers' Memorial, Jones Park, East St. Louis. World War I soldiers.
East St. Louis business and building photograph index (circa 1909)
Links St. Clair County courthouse, libraries, local societies, educational venues, much more.
About SCCGS - Purpose, monthly lecture schedule, inclement weather policy.
Membership - How to join SCCGS - Membership Application and Code of Ethics
Two search features
Words in quotes return exact, and very different results e.g., "John Smith", and "Smith John" (no comma needed).
To keep the Result/Hits page available while browsing hits, use the right-click option on your mouse, if available, and choose open in new tab. Or, simply browse each database link above.
To return to SCCGS, click the SCCGS Home link on the Results Page, use the
browser Back button, or Bookmark this page. We hope
this feature makes your search easier.
The database of vital statistics extracted from the
Belleville (Ill.) Daily Advocate 1927 - 1954
searched independantly of the
site search on left.
SCCGS members can search and view digital images of the Belleville-News Democrat 1901-1952. Join SCCGS